Friday, December 21, 2007

On Meditation, Again

The author starts with:
However intellectual and sophisticated the term is, and when we express it, what we are all seeking is nothing but achieving peace within ourselves and the feelings of blissfullness.
As quoted by some people:
Meditation is nothing but a preparation to rediscover the state of Bliss that is already inside you,”

Every moment of conscious breath is meditation.
Some of the benefits of meditation, the author (as well as the research) claims are:
  • Clarity and Decisiveness. With reduced ‘mind clutter’ and confusion, I was able to make quick and firm decisions.
  • Slept Less Hours - To achieve a restful sleep, before I use to need more than eight hours of sleep. While I practiced meditation regularly. I would sleep for six hours and it was plenty. Often, I sleep less than that.
  • More Energized - With meditation, I felt more energized even though I was sleeping less.
  • Saves Time - even though time was used to actually do meditation - but because I was sleeping less, I had more time to do other things. And I was doing them with more focus.
  • Blissful and Relaxed- I felt genuinely happier with everything else going on. Sometimes I could feel my face flowing from contentment.
  • Centered - I felt more connected with my core and inner being.
  • Health - which is the only proven “side effect” of mediation.
  • Awareness and Creativity - People tend to be more alert to their environment and become more conscious and aware. Not to mention, you become more pleasant around other people.
The author asks a fundamental question, later:
We would waste hours browsing on-line or flip on the tv, but we would not spare 5-10 minutes of quality times with ourselves?
The author warns:
What I learned from this is that if we allowed ourselves to make even one excuse (no matter how minute), it’ll be a lot easier to buy into excuses the next time, and it’ll snowball from there. The trick is to form daily routines and do whatever it takes to “protect yourself” by not allowing your habit to be knocked off.